As in most places, the Covid19-Pandemic has changed our reality and we've had to create new ways to continue sharing the beauty of Mayan weaving and most importantly ensure our weavers are still able to maintain their families throughout this challenging time.
We were able to reopen our local shop and weaving school but visitors are only slowly starting to come back. Therefore, we now offer virtual weaving tours.
From the highlands of Guatemala, representatives of our weavers give a live demonstration of the process of backstrap loom weaving providing an insight
to Mayan weaving culture and the work of our cooperative. If you're interested, we can add a demonstration of natural dyes showing the process from raw cotton to colorful yarn using different plant ingredients.
The tours are transmitted via Zoom and include:
- Introduction of Mayan weaving culture including an insight into symbology and regional identity linked to weaving in the different communities
- Explanation of Trama Textile's work and mission
- Step-by-step demonstration from setting up the loom to the weaving technique itself
- Q & A with the weavers, you can ask your questions directly and they will answer
- On demand: demonstration of the process of naturally dyeing cotton yarn with various plants
- Find out more about our Natural Dye Demonstrations.*
- The tour is live translated from Spanish to English and takes around 1 hour
Our virtual weaving tours are free of charge, although we would greatly appreciate a small contribution for the time and materials used during the demonstration. Tours are open for anyone interested in learning about the richness of Mayan weaving art and in supporting our mission of preserving it while creating a sustainable source of income for women artisans, even more during times of crisis.
We ask for a minimum group size of 5 people, but please do contact us for any other requests.
If you would like to offer a financial contribution to a tour, you can do so here: http://paypal.me/tramatextiles
If you are interested and would like to schedule a tour, please contact us:
*We require a financial contribution for our Natural Dye Demonstrations as this is a more costly process.